Mold toxin exposure is the cause of a variety of serious conditions and can make life miserable. Our everyday lives are susceptible to a variety of toxins. They can be from heavy metals in food or natural toxins coming from living organisms in our surroundings. One such toxin we will be discussing in this article are mycotoxins, which are produced by microfungi called Mold.
Mold toxicity can wreak havoc in the human body, causing an array of uncomfortable and agonizing symptoms and at it’s worse, can lead to serious neurological and physiological diseases like Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and cancer.
What Is Mold Toxicity?
Mold is a type of fungi. It is a non-scientific term to define fungi which can look like unappealing patches of pink, black, brown, yellow, green, and smelly fuzzy growths. Species of Mold can be found both indoors and outdoors.
Although Mold can be found in any season, it usually grows and thrives in damp, moist, and humid environments. Mold growth can be typically found in showers, attics, crawlspaces, and basements. Even though mold more easily thrives in damp environments, it can be found in dry areas as well, and testing is the best way to discover if mycotoxins may be growing in your home.
Molds that are commonly found indoors are listed below
Specific types of molds can produce mycotoxins, and they are what constitutes the term ‘Toxic Molds.’ These mycotoxins can be produced by molds like Penicillium, Stachybotrys, Fusarium, and Aspergillus.
Some of the most commonly encountered mycotoxins are listed below
- Aflatoxins – produced by Aspergillus, and found in various foods.
- Fumonisins – Produced by Fusarium in temperate climates, found on corn, wheat, and other grains.
- Trichothecenes – produced by Stachybotrys and Fusarium, found in water-damaged buildings
- Ochratoxins – Produced by Aspergillus, and various species of Penicillium and can be found in buildings and homes. Ochratoxin can also be found growing on grains, nuts, dried fruits, cocoa, and coffee.
In fact, there have been reports that suggest that almost 25% of the world’s crops, which include nuts, grains, wine, spices, etc. are affected by mycotoxins due to poor harvesting practices, and food storage in damp and moist conditions.
16 Symptoms of Mold Toxins Exposure
Mold toxins can cause different types of illnesses and symptoms at different levels of exposure. These toxins can enter the body through our lungs, skin, digestive tract, and can affect any part of our body. The symptoms can be general, neurological, psychiatric, hormonal, gastrointestinal, and musculoskeletal.
Here are 16 signs that can indicate a severe case of Mold Toxin Exposure:
- Parkinson’s like symptoms
- Anxiety and Depression or mood swings
- Morning Stiffness, Joint Pain
- Headaches or blurred vision
- Poor word finding, difficulty in constructing speech patterns
- Difficulty in Concentration
- increased sweating or night sweats
- Diarrhea, bloating, or abdominal pain
- Static shocks
- Increased thirst or Increased frequency of Urine
- Shortness of breath, sinus congestion, or chronic cough
- Appetite swings
- Tingling and numbness of the skin.
- Metallic taste in the mouth.
- Fatigue and weakness
How to Prevent Mold Toxins Exposure
The good news is that toxic mold exposure can be identified and, if found, can be eliminated using protocols known to kill mycotoxins in the body. It is important, however, to have testing done in the areas you spend time in, like your home, school, or workplace. If you have identified mold exposure, you will need to identify the source and mitigate that so that you don’t continue to expose yourself.
Preventing Mold Growth in Household
The best way to prevent mold growth in your home is to have mold experts come to test and identify if and where the exposures are coming from. Exposures can be from leaky pipes or even condensation on pipes. These issues can be remedied once the exposure is identified. Mold specialists can come out to remove the toxic molds and remediate the issues causing the mold growth.
Using an air conditioner and air humidifier during humid seasons can also help reduce the amount of external mold that enters the house. Other preventive measures your mold specialist might discuss with you is the use of insulation to reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces.
Avoid Mold and Yeast Promoting food
Mold can be found in food like mushrooms or yeast products that we consume. Hence, it is vital to cut out on such foods to avoid mold toxin exposure. When starting on any protocol to eliminate mycotoxins in the body it’s important to avoid sugar in all forms, including brown sugar, white sugar, maple syrup, molasses, etc. Your doctor or health coach may also recommend you stay away from fructose, lactose, maltose, glucose, sorbitol, and mannitol.
Avoid processed food that comes in a can or box. Most items that are prepackaged contain sugar or some form of additive in it. This additive and sugar can feed the fungus. Avoid all ready to eat food, avoid sodas, and fast food.
Avoid Mold and yeast containing food like cheese, alcohol, dried fruits, cured, and smoked meats. Also, grains can be fertile ground for mols to thrive and grow. Avoid them at all cost if you’re suffering from a mold infection.
Use Detox Binders
There are many types of Detox binders, like Charcoal, bentonite, chlorella, etc. All of which work effectively in eliminating the effect of Mold and other toxin exposure.
Many protocols start with a popular mycotoxin binding probiotic known as Saccharomyces boulardii. Doses and when a person starts their probiotic can vary. For those who are working on it themselves, most will start with one capsule a day with food for five days until eventually increasing the consumption to 2-3 capsules a day.
Adding a binding agent is always recommended when eliminating infections, and one popular binder that we also like is the G.I detox binder, which contains 75% Pyrophyllite clay and 25% activated charcoal. Both pyrophyllite and Charcoal are effective detox binders that effectively rid the body of harmful toxins. Pyrophyllite clay, in particular, has been used for centuries due to its medical benefits. It contains silica and quartz, which helps in both adsorbing and absorbing chemicals in the body.
The Bottom Line
It is crucial to understand how Mold can thrive, to effectively remove yourself from the source, and to then eliminate the mold from your body.
If you identify that you have a mold infection, stay away from sugar and processed food that contains any form of sugar. Remember, sugar is food for fungus above anything else; cutting it entirely from your diet is an excellent way of creating an environment that is hard for mold to live in.
You can also try detox binders to find relief. Ensure you consult a specialist or holistic practitioner before incorporating them into your diet.