The term Superfood was first coined by Dr. Steven Pratt. He stated that for a food to qualify as a superfood, it needs to adhere with the following three criteria’s:
1. The food needs to be easily accessible to most people
2. They should be loaded with nutrients that promote good health.
3. Their health benefits should be backed up by scientific studies and peer reviews.
The concept of a wholesome, nutritious meal seems to be lost in the fast-moving America of today. People would rather satiate their taste buds than satisfy their body’s overall nutrition profile. So we have a population today munching on pizzas, burgers and processed food that is slowly but surely killing them from the inside.
What follows are the diseases that make one regret the choices they made with their food. For those who seek to live a long, healthy life, there is no other way than to opt for a healthier alternative. With the 7 superfoods for a healthy lifestyle listed, we do believe that goal can be achieved.
So let us look at 7 Superfoods for a healthy lifestyle and their benefits to our mind, body, and soul.
Spirulina gets its name from its spiral-like appearance. This single-celled blue-green algae thrives in warm, freshwater bodies, and is being studied for its potential in one day eliminating world hunger.
Being one of the oldest lifeforms on earth, it is a rich source of antioxidants, vitamins, and other nutrients. It is 61 – 70 percent complete protein, surpassing the protein levels of both beef and lentils.
1. Lowers risk of stroke and cancer.
2. Keeps your cholesterol level and blood pressure in the normal range.
3. Provides relief from allergic rhinitis symptoms
4. Fights candida infection
Like Spirulina, Chlorella is also studied for its various health benefits to mankind. It is a single-celled alga with a hard cell wall, which makes it more of a plant than algae. It is popularly known to detox the body from mercury and other heavy metals. These, however, aren’t its only benefits.
1. May Benefit Diabetics by improving insulin sensitivity
2. Eliminates bad breath
3. Normalizes blood pressure and blood sugar levels.
4. Helps increase energy levels
5. Enhances ability to focus and concentrate.
This leafy green vegetable is rich in the following nutrients Vitamins A, B, C, lutein, zeaxanthin, calcium, chlorophyll, fiber and iron. It also offers nine essential amino acids needed to form protein in your body.
Kale helps prevent heart diseases, autoimmune diseases, regulating blood clotting, scavenging free radicals, and supporting healthy cholesterol levels.
1. Helps ease lung congestion
2. Beneficial to your stomach, liver, and immune system.
3. Helps protect bladder cancer
4. Steamed Kale can provide special cholesterol-lowering benefits.
Artichoke is home to almost every known nutrient to mankind. It contains magnesium, phosphorus, manganese, fiber, copper, potassium, Vitamins C and K, antioxidant and phytonutrients. When eating Artichoke, make sure to consume the leaves as it is the most essential part of the plant.
Owing to its nutritional value, Artichoke can help heal a variety of health problems which include jaundice, digestive issues, liver problems, high cholesterol, etc. It has been found that taking 1.5g of artichoke leaf extract daily can lower serum cholesterol and triglyceride levels.
1. Used as a relief for digestive problems
2. Used for liver problems in the 16th century.
3. Helps maintain optimal liver function
4. Helps maintain cholesterol levels
5. Its high concentration of cynarin helps promote digestive health
Acai berry is a powerful antioxidant that contains 10 times more antioxidants than red grapes. It has 10 to 30 times the anthocyanins in red wine and has high amounts of amino acid, iron, vitamin A, and calcium.
Acai berry has been effective in weight loss, slowing down the process of aging and promote immune function as well.
1. Has an Anti-ageing property.
2. Useful for weight management
3. Boost immunity and energy levels
4. Lab studies show its effectiveness in destroying cancer cells.
Broccoli is the most well-known superfood on this list. It has been a part of our mundane meals, and also found its way as a topping on Pizza. However, many are not aware of how beneficial this stem vegetable is to our health.
Broccoli contains cancer-fighting compounds like isothiocyanates. It is also rich in beneficial enzymes, vitamin C, fiber, calcium, folate, and carotenoids. Broccoli also contains Sulforaphane that has been found to both have antimicrobial properties and cancer-fighting potential.
1. Promoted detoxification
2. Supports your digestive system
3. Helps fight cancer
4. Helps prevent hypertension, allergies, osteoarthritis, and diabetes.
A cool weathered crop named after the capital of Belgium, Brussels sprouts have a nutty, earthy taste and an appearance of a miniature cabbage head. This vegetable is rich in thiamine, vitamins A, B2, B6, C, and K, phosphorus, magnesium, and has an outstanding potassium content to keep heart rate and blood pressure at normal levels.
1. Boosts the body’s natural immune system.
2. Promotes healthy DNA
3. Provides Enzymes to aid in detoxifying cancer-causing toxins
4. Promotes strong bones
5. Helps fight diseases with detoxifying properties.
6. Helps control heart rate and blood pressure levels.
Eating healthy is a choice, and it is a choice that every American with a longing for life needs to make immediately. 7 Superfoods mentioned here not only help you with the nutrients you need to operate, but also shield you from diseases both chronic and benign.
Incorporating these food products in your daily diet will drastically help improve the quality of your mind, body, and soul. Eat as many wholesome foods as you can. Apart from the above 7 superfoods for a healthy lifestyle, foods like avocado, raw dairy, Alaskan salmon, grass-fed meat, and organic free-range eggs are all excellent examples of superfoods.
🎁 Holiday Sale 🎁
🎉 Black Friday Special 🎉